What is a migration skills assessment and why do I need one?

For certain skilled migration visas you will need to provide evidence that your skills have been assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation by the relevant assessing authority.

CPA Australia can assess your overseas or Australian education, English proficiency and, in some cases, your work history, to determine if you meet a set of predetermined criteria required for your chosen occupation.

As well as a full skills assessment that can be used in your application for an Employer sponsored visa or Points tested (SkillSelect) visa, CPA Australia also issues a provisional skills assessment for recent graduates of Australian education institutions who are applying for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). We also provide skilled employment assessments.

Note: CPA Australia does not award or provide advice on points for visa applications.

What is a provisional assessment?

The temporary graduate visa (subclass 485) skills assessment, also known as a “provisional assessment”, is for recent graduates of Australian educational institutions that are applying for a subclass 485 visa.

The requirements for the provisional assessment are similar to those of the general migration assessment. However, there are some differences, which include scores that are accepted for meeting the English proficiency requirement.

ANZSCO codes

CPA Australia can assess your qualifications and skills for the following occupations:

  • accountant (general) (ANZSCO code 221111)
  • external auditor (ANZSCO code 221213)
  • finance manager (ANZSCO code 132211)
  • management accountant (ANZSCO code 221112)
  • taxation accountant (ANZSCO code 221113).

Lodging an expression of interest?

If you are planning to lodge your expression of interest (EOI) with the Department of Home Affairs, ensure to wait until you have received your migration assessment outcome from CPA Australia first.

Migration agent information

When acting on behalf of a client, you will need to provide either:

  • a Form 956
  • a letter of authority.

Letters of authority must include the present date, the client’s signature, full name and date of birth. It must identify you by your name, company name, postal and email addresses.

Quality health cover for your visa application

Getting an appropriate level of health insurance may be a requirement for your visa. We have worked with Bupa to offer you the security and protection of private health cover at a discounted rate.
Call 134 135 or visit any Bupa store and quote 2098532 for discounted CPA health cover.

Supporting links


These landing pages (including any third party landing pages referred to on this website), and any information CPA Australia Ltd (“CPA Australia”), its staff, contractors and/or agents (“Representatives”) may provide you (from time to time) throughout the Migration assessment process is of a general nature only. Such information does not consider your personal objectives, situation and/or particular needs. CPA Australia and its Representatives will not provide you with specific information on the migration process, including (but not limited to) awards, visas or migration application process and cannot recommend any organisation or person to provide you with such information. Please ensure that you seek your own independent professional advice with respect to your personal needs.

CPA Australia makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on its website (including any third part landing pages referred to on this website) and any information CPA Australia and/or its Representatives may provide you from time to time. To the extent permitted by applicable law, CPA Australia, its employees, agents and consultants exclude all liability for any loss or damage claims and expenses including but not limited to legal costs, indirect special or consequential loss or damage (including but not limited to, negligence) arising out of or related to: (a) information contained on the landing pages (including third party landing pages); and/or (b) any information that CPA Australia and/or its Representatives may have provided.